Guildford (Away)

Notice: Trying to get property 'result' of non-object in /home/matt5221/public_html/wp-content/plugins/zenfoliopress/Zenfolio.php on line 47

Guildford (Home)

Notice: Trying to get property 'result' of non-object in /home/matt5221/public_html/wp-content/plugins/zenfoliopress/Zenfolio.php on line 47

Wells fielded the same starting 15 as they had in winning at Westcliff last week but brought Academy product Toby Talbot onto the bench with Kyle McGarvie. Conditions were at last firm under foot and warm sunshine greeted both sides. The visitors needed a win to bolster their chances of surviving at this level for the 2018/19 season and begun the game looking like the win was more important to them than it did to Wells. This was to be the story of the first half as despite Frank Reynolds putting the home side in front with a penalty on 17 minutes little else went right for the town side in the first 40 minutes as the G’s took a firm grip on proceedings aided and abetted by wayward kicking, and a failure to secure line out ball from Wells.

With territory and position it only took Guildford 2 minutes to respond with scrum half  Bradley Smith cutting inside the Wells cover to score close to the posts and with full back Ali Chisholm adding the extras 3-7 on 19 minutes. Things did not get better for Wells in the second quarter as imprecise passing, and a loss of initial dominance in the tight saw a succession of penalties move Guildford to within range and a rolling maul from a lineout on the left collapsed with Wells adjudged the offenders as the referee awarded a penalty try and Nick Doherty was despatched with a yellow card on 35 minutes 3-14.

With Doherty off Wells looked under even more pressure as Ben Williams joined Doherty in the bin as he was somewhat harshly  judged to have adopted an illegal position as the G’s no 3 George Banks went to the floor. With Wells down to 13  on 42 minutes Guildford rolled again and No 6 Ollie Millward claimed Guildford’s third try following up on the drive. This left the halftime score at 3-21 as Chisholm again kicked the extras and left the Wells crowd -bolstered by the Vice Presidents lunch- scratching their heads as to how they were going to extract themselves from this position.

However, this team has not hit the top 5 in London Premier this year without considerable skill and spirit and having succeeded in holding the opposition at bay for the first few minutes of the second half until back to fifteen they proceeded to reel in the score. First Blaise Salle went close on the right and within 2 minutes Nick Doherty finished off a patient pick and drive sequence halfway out with Frank Reynolds kicking the conversion 10-21 46 minutes.

Wells continued to dominate as Dave Allen used his experience and skill to pick at the narrow channels and suck G’s in before releasing the ball. This gave much greater space to the backs when the ball was moved wide. Skipper Ryan Taylor –Dennehy was next to blast up the left touchline and looked to have scored after a 40 metre run only to have the try disallowed for putting it down in goal but over the touchline. This made little difference to the momentum which had shifted decidedly to the home side as on 53 minutes further patient picking and driving saw Man of the Match Dave Allen pop the ball to Mike Doherty on the straight burst for him to score and for Reynolds again to add the extras which was to prove vital 17-21.

Wells were not finished yet as they exploited an 18 minute purple patch to score yet again on 64 minutes as a midfield switch from centre Shadyn Osgood saw Taylor – Dennehy make up for his earlier narrow miss to run in from 30 metres beating the defence for pace as he scored Wells third try with Reynolds again converting 24-21.

This purple patch put Wells in the driving seat as they regained control in the scrum and started to take their line outs as Mc Garvie came on from the subs bench. With the back row bossing the breakdown Wells were able to see out time despite Guildford striving for those points for survival.

As the final whistle came Guildford got a valuable losing bonus point and Wells couldn’t quite add to their try bonus points. However, soon afterwards it became apparent as Westcliff went down to Hertford that Wells had secured their 5th position in their first season at this level and Guildford need a win in their last game or they need Westcombe Park to lose in order to survive in this league for next season.

This Saturday Wells travel to Shelford  to play on their new Artificial grass pitch as they conclude the season in the highest position the club has ever attained since the inception of the RFU leagues and striving to keep their sequence of 5 wins in a row going.

Squad: Ben Williams, Luke Hawkins, Brendan Crosilla, Kyle McGarvie, Christian Earle, Mac Popham, Mike Hathaway, Dave Allen, Nick Doherty, Toby Talbot, Max Douch, Frank Reynolds, Blaise Salle, Matt Spicer, Mike Doherty, Shadyn Osgood, Max Hobbs,  Ryan Taylor- Dennehy (Capt)


Guildford (Away)

Notice: Trying to get property 'result' of non-object in /home/matt5221/public_html/wp-content/plugins/zenfoliopress/Zenfolio.php on line 47

Following on from two impressive wins, Tunbridge Wells were delighted to be able to pick an unchanged squad for the trip to Surrey. It is several years since Wells have met Guildford and in that time the hosts have established themselves within the higher levels of South-Eastern rugby.

With a large crowd having made their way out to pitch-side after a fine festive lunch, Guildford will have been keen to put on a show for their own support and they started extremely well. They kicked off on a cold but still day and after a good attacking maul, a clever inside pass saw skipper Joe Garner burst through from 20 metres out and score under the Wells posts on three minutes. With a Gareth Davies conversion the home side led 7-0.

Both teams were using their kicking games to gain territorial advantage but the Wells half-back pairing of Chaz Spence and Frank Reynolds had the edge in this dual throughout. The Wells soet-piece was also having one of its best afternoons. The front row of Brendan Crosilla, Luke Hawkins and Carl Straeche had the better of their Guildford counterparts and with Hawkins also hitting his line-out jumpers accurately, the visitors started to control possession.

It felt like just a matter of time before the boys from St Marks got on the scoreboard and after a couple of penalty scrums the ball was taken forward by Mike Hathaway, Hawkins and Nick Doherty before a lovely inside pop pass to Christian Earle saw the lock twist through two tackles for the try on 19 minutes. Reynolds conversion slipped wide. 7-5.

Player-coach Dave Allen was turning in a man of the match performance with a massive tackling stint combined with strong carries and it was one of his turnovers that saw Wells back on the attack again. Wells eschewed a penalty shot at goal and Shayden Osgood and Hathaway carried before Reynolds delicately fed an inside pass to the flying Ryan Taylor-Dennehy. The full back offered a constant cutting edge in attack and here he cut a super angled line to cross in the corner on 27 minutes. 7-10.

A crunching combination tackle from Allen and Owain Withers forced a knock-on which led to an good attacking scrum just inside the Guildford half four minutes later. Spence brought the industrious Blaise Salle off his wing and he linked well with centre Mike Doherty who in turn fed Taylor-Dennehy. Again, he made great yardage and after a 30 metre run he found Hathaway in support on his inside shoulder and fed the flanker for the score. With Reynolds converting an easier kick the score was now 7-17 on 31 minutes.

At this stage it looked like Wells might run away with the game but a lapse in concentration saw a kicked charged down and a tenacious Guildford suddenly found themselves in the Wells 22 after a strong Freddie Hopper run. When they were awarded a penalty they kicked to the corner and an effective rolling maul saw prop Ash Williams burrow over for an unconverted try on 38 minutes. 12-17. Half time.

Wells will have been confident at the interval, if a shade disappointed that the home side were still so close from a scoring perspective. What acting coach Mike Whatman will have wanted was a strong start to the second half and that is exactly what his side gave him. Guildford did not exit effectively from the kick-off and after strong Hathaway, Crosilla and Hawkins carries, Allen hit an unstoppable line to crash over under the posts. Reynolds converted the ‘bonus point’ try and a penalty two minutes later after an Allen turnover so after 45 minutes it was now 12-27.

The home side tried to get back into the game but Wells were now very much on top. Withers, Allen and Hathaway were turning in mighty tackling stints and Spence was controlling the tempo of play. On 55 minutes, the visitors crossed for their fifth try and it was a fine individual effort. Mike Doherty cleverly released powerful wing Matt Spicer who broke through several tackles before being hauled down and Salle was then denied close to the line. The ball was spun across the pitch but a lack of precision made it look like the chance might have gone begging. However, that was discounting the determination of Reynolds who hit the ball at pace through the heart of the Guildford defence to dot down and with his conversion it was 12-34.

Kyle McGarvie now replaced the hard-working Straeche and perhaps sensing that the game was won Wells had a disappointing spell. One thing that is already apparent at this level is that all teams are more than capable of exploiting opportunities if they given to them and this is what happened now. A series of missed tackles combined with some good attacking play saw Guildford flanker Tom Devereaux cross for a try that Davies converted on the hour. 19-34. Hayden Pengelly now came on for Nick Doherty,but sadly it was to be a brief appearance by the popular flanker as a recurrence of a shoulder injury was to curtail his pitch time.

Guildford’s confidence started to build as the re-shaped front row came under pressure and the high defensive levels that had been set began to lapse.However, the nerves of travelling supporters were settled by a cracking try on 67 minutes. A crisp backs move put Salle into space which he exploited running 25 metres before perfectly drawing the last defender and passing to Spicer who cruised over in the left corner for a fine score. The conversion went wide but surely now the game was put to bed. 19-39. Richard Webster came on for the irrepressible Taylor-Dennehy who left the field for treatment.

The home team were to have the final say, though, when with four minutes on the clock a smart side-stepping run by Dan Paton saw him cross for a bonus point try of their own, which again converted by Davies brought a final score of 26-39.

This was another robust performance by Tunbridge Wells and with some stronger game-management and concentration levels in the final quarter, when Guildford were allowed to re-build their earlier momentum, then the win could have been by an even greater margin. However, this was a notable win away, again illustrating the importance of continuity in selection.

Squad: Ryan Taylor-Dennehy (Richard Webster); Blaise Salle, Mike Doherty, Shayden Osgood, Matt Spicer; Frank Reynolds, Chaz Spence (Capt); Brendan Crosilla, Luke Hawkins, Carl Straeche (Kyle McGarvie), Christian Earle, Owain Withers, Dave Allen, Mike Hathaway, Nick Doherty (Hayden Pengelly).

With a few bumps and bruises after playing a virtually unchanged squad for the past three games, Russell Shingles’ physio team will be hard at work this week to ensure availability for selection for what will be another tough test at home to Barnes ‪this Saturday (December 16th)‬. The visitors sit 4th in the league on 48 points whilst Wells are now up to an impressive 5th on 40. This win marked the halfway point in the season and with seven wins from thirteen games Wells will be mightily heartened by their progress, especially as they reach this stage of the season playing their best rugby and with their strongest squad availability.

The game is ‪a 2pm‬ kick off at St Marks.

Graham Withers