Welcome to Under 10s rugby at Tunbridge Wells RFC, a local rugby club that prides itself on community, inclusiveness and fun for children of all ages and ability.
The U10s is our age group for girls and boys starting Year 5 in September 2023. Everyone is welcome, whether or not you have picked up a rugby ball, and everything we do is built around having fun in a friendly, enjoyable and safe environment. This year, we build further technique and skills into our games as we introduce rucking and uncontested scrums to build on the tackling we began last year.
For parents who were with us last year – welcome back! For any prospective new joiners, here is some information to get your started:
- The 2023/4 season will start on Sunday 3rd September 2023. We train every Sunday morning between 9-10.30am until the end of April 2024.
- Sessions take place at the St.Marks ground. However, we may also use the 3G pitch at the Tunbridge Wells Sports Centre on St. Johns Road.
- There is limited parking space available at the club, and so these fill very quickly. You can park on Forest Road (around the corner from the club), but we ask that you are sensitive and respectful to TWRFC’s neighbours if you do so.
- We do require membership registration and payment of subscription fees to be paid by the end of September if your children are going to remain for the whole season. For new starters, this allows some time to ensure both parents and children are happy before committing. A step by step guide for what to do is here: Membership Schemes
- Your children’s safety is our biggest priority. We therefore have a few golden rules for clothing and equipment:
- All children must have gum shields to join in any contact sessions and games.
- Wear appropriate clothing for rugby and bring a drink and snacks.
- In cold and wet weather, please remember “layers for players”. Base layers are a great idea; so too are vests and t-shirts. It is better to have too many layers on the day rather than not enough. A waterproof top is recommended but any top must be one without zips as we are playing contact. Hats are also really important!
- Rugby boots are needed (astros will be required for the 3G).
- All players must have a parent/guardian/carer in attendance during each session. We appreciate it can be difficult for those having to spread themselves between pitches if they have children in older age groups, but please do ask other parents to help if you need to run into the clubhouse or to another pitch.
- All parents will receive weekly communications confirming start times, locations, and any other club information. We use an app called Spond, and will provide you with all the necessary sign up details.
- There is a club shop online if you want to buy branded clothing / kit for your children. Please go to https://akumashops.com/twrfc.
- Finally, all the coaches at TWRFC are volunteers. If you would like to get involved, please just shout.
If you any questions, please do not hesitate to email either myself or Suzanne (our team manager). No question is a silly one, and if we don’t know the answer then we will make sure we find the right person at the club who does!
Simon Beamish – Head Coach – firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzanne George – Team Manager – email@example.com