Welcome to Tunbridge Wells RFC, a local rugby club that prides itself on community, inclusiveness and fun for children of all ages and ability.
The U8’s team comprises of boys and girls in the Year 3 school year.
Everyone is welcome, whether or not you have picked up a rugby ball, and everything we do is built around having fun in a friendly, enjoyable and safe environment. Sessions focus on rugby style activities and games as we begin to develop foundational skills of ball handling, catching and passing.
As the start of any season tends to be a learning curve for all new parents, here is some information to get your started:
- The 2022/2 season start date will be Sunday 4th September. We will continue training/matches/festivals every Sunday through until April 2023, with the exception of a few weeks off for Easter and Christmas holidays. To cultivate a team ethic and rugby spirit, we pride ourselves on the fact that “Through wind and rain, TWRFC always train” (unless there is severe weather!).
- Sessions usually take place at St.Marks ground between 9am – 10am. We also use the 3G pitch at the Tunbridge Wells Sports Centre on St. Johns Road, which acts as a safer environment for the younger age groups during the winter months.
We are also a Touring side, and look forward to our next tour booked in for Fri 28th April to Mon 1st May 2023!!
We also take part in lots of rugby festivals and play matches against other clubs.
Additional useful information;
- There are parking spaces available at the club, but these can fill very quickly. You can park on Forest Road (around the corner from the club), but we ask that you are sensitive and respectful to TWRFC’s neighbours if you do so. We ask that you leave the area immediately in-front of the clubhouse for coaches carrying kit.
- We do require membership registration and payment of subscription fees if your children are going to remain for the whole season. However, we allow two weeks at the start of the season so that parents and children are completely happy before committing. For membership details please go to www.twrfc.com/membership/ and sign up as a Youth Player to the Spond app we use Sign up form for Tunbridge Wells RFC (spond.com). On this form select;
- “I’m signing up a child” then
- In member type select “Youth Player” then
- Select Group “TWRFC U8s 2022/23 (Tommo)”
- Your children’s safety and comfort is our biggest priority. We therefore have a few golden rules for clothing and equipment:
- Children should have appropriate clothing for rugby and should bring a drink and snacks (as we take breaks during sessions).
- In cold and wet weather, please remember “layers for players”. Base layers are a great idea; so too are vests and t-shirts plus fleeces or hoodies. It is better to have too many layers on the day rather than not enough. A waterproof top is great at keeping the wind and rain out, and tend to be better than big coats that restrict movement. Hats and gloves are also really important.
- In terms of footwear, trainers can be worn in warm, drier weather, but rugby boots are recommended as pitch conditions get wetter and softer. Screw-in studs are not permitted at the Astro Turf/3G pitch and many parents opt for moulded studs for the whole season, which seem to work well. If you opt for screw-in studs, children will need to wear trainers when at the Astro Turf/3G.
- You don’t need a gum shield – there is no contact at this age level.
- All players must have a parent/guardian/carer in attendance during each session. We appreciate it can be difficult for those having to spread themselves between pitches if they have children in older age groups, but please do ask other parents to help if you need to run into the clubhouse or to another pitch.
- All parents for the U8s age group will be invited to join a WhatsApp group as well as the Spond app so that regular communication can be sent confirming start times, locations, and any other club information. It is also an easy way to communicate with the head coach.
- There is a club shop online if you want to buy branded clothing for those colder and wetter days, or new kit for your children. Please go to: https://twrfc.com/shop/.
- Finally, all the coaches at TWRFC are volunteers. If you are new to the club or the area and would like to get involved, please just shout. Seeing parents/guardians getting stuck in and sharing the rugby experience is a huge boost for the children and the more the merrier. We are not seasoned professionals – many volunteers have never played rugby before – and all we ask you to bring is stacks of enthusiasm. The one requirement will be to run a DBS check, which takes 10 minutes of your time and the club covers the cost. In return, the coaches have been known to organise the occasional social event throughout the year.
I am sure there will be lots of other questions new parents will have, so please do not hesitate to email me using the details below. No question is a silly one, and if I don’t know the answer then I will make sure I find the right person at the club who does!
Tom Callaway – Head Coach TWRFC U8’s (firstname.lastname@example.org)