TWRFC U6’s Rugby Rocks!
Welcome to the U6’s Rugby Rocks! We are thrilled you have chosen Tunbridge Wells RFC as the launch pad for your child’s rugby journey. We are a local rugby club that prides itself on community, inclusiveness and fun for children of all ages and ability.
The U6’s Rugby Rocks! is our entry level group for boys and girls starting Reception or Year 1 in September 2021. Everyone is welcome, whether or not you have picked up a rugby ball, and everything we do is built around having fun in a friendly, enjoyable and safe environment. Using the latest coaching approaches and methodology recommended by the RFU, our sessions focus on rugby style activities and games in a skill zone/game zone format that aim to develop foundational skills of ball handling, catching and passing. If you’re interested in becoming a coach, please do get in touch as we are always in need of help.
Registration for the upcoming season has begun and if you haven’t done so already, please register your child via Spond (www.twrfc.com/spond) or via their App. We do require membership registration and payment of subscription fees if your children are going to remain for the whole season. However, if you are new to the club, we offer a two-week trial to ensure that parents and children are completely happy before committing. For membership details please go to www.twrfc.com/membership/ and sign up as a Youth Player. Please note that due to Covid restrictions, we are no longer able to accept new starters on the day. Every child must be pre-registered before they can start, and they will be allocated to a specific training group
When does the new season start?
How often is training?
Every Sunday (exception of a few weeks off for Easter and Christmas holidays)
How about when whether is iffy?
“Through wind and rain, TWRFC always train” (unless weather is super iffy)
What time and where is training?
9-10am, St. Marks Recreation Ground, Tunbridge Wells TN2 5LS
Is there parking?
There are parking spaces available at the club, but these can fill very quickly. You can park on Forest Road (around the corner from the club), but we ask that you are sensitive and respectful to TWRFC’s neighbours if you do so. We ask that you leave the area immediately in-front of the clubhouse for coaches carrying kit.
What should my child wear?
- Children should have appropriate clothing for rugby
- Bring a drink and snacks (as we take breaks during sessions).
- In cold and wet weather, please remember “layers for players”. Base layers are a great idea; so too are vests and t-shirts plus fleeces or hoodies. It is better to have too many layers on the day rather than not enough.
- A waterproof top is great at keeping the wind and rain out, and tend to be better than big coats that restrict movement.
- Hats and gloves are also really important.
- In terms of footwear, trainers can be worn in warm, drier weather, but rugby boots are recommended as pitch conditions get wetter and softer.
- Screw-in studs are not permitted at the Astro Turf/3G pitch and many parents opt for moulded studs for the whole season, which seem to work well. If you opt for screw-in studs, children will need to wear trainers when at the Astro Turf/3G.
- You don’t need a gum shield – there is no contact at this age level