Welcome to Under 9s rugby at Tunbridge Wells RFC, a local rugby club that prides itself on community, inclusiveness and fun for children of all ages and ability.
The U9’s is our age group for girls and boys starting Year 4 in September 2022. Everyone is welcome, whether or not you have picked up a rugby ball, and everything we do is built around having fun in a friendly, enjoyable and safe environment. Sessions focus on rugby style activities and games as we introduce contact for the first time (tackling only – no rucking, mauling or scrummaging yet!) and we continue to develop foundational skills of ball handling, catching and passing.
For parents who were with us last year – welcome back! For any prospective new joiners, here is some information to get your started:
- The 2022/23 season will start on Sunday 4th September 2022. It will continue every Sunday morning (time to be confirmed, but usually at 9-10.30am) until the end of April 2023, with the exception of a few weeks off for Easter and Christmas holidays. To cultivate a team ethic and rugby spirit, “Through wind and rain, TWRFC always train”.
- Sessions take place at the St.Marks ground. However, we may also use the 3G pitch at the Tunbridge Wells Sports Centre on St. Johns Road.
- There is limited parking space available at the club, and so these fill very quickly. You can park on Forest Road (around the corner from the club), but we ask that you are sensitive and respectful to TWRFC’s neighbours if you do so.
- We do require membership registration and payment of subscription fees to be paid by the end of September if your children are going to remain for the whole season. For new starters, this allows some time to ensure both parents and children are happy before committing. We will confirm rates prior to the new season but, to give you an idea, last year’s family membership (one child) was £160 or £200 (multiple children). A step by step guide for what to do is here: Membership Schemes
- Your children’s safety is our biggest priority. We therefore have a few golden rules for clothing and equipment:
- As this is our first year of contact, kids must have gum shields.
- Wear appropriate clothing for rugby and bring a drink and snacks.
- In cold and wet weather, please remember “layers for players”. Base layers are a great idea; so too are vests and t-shirts plus fleeces or hoodies. It is better to have too many layers on the day rather than not enough. A waterproof top is recommended over big coats that restrict movement. Hats and gloves are also really important!
- Trainers can be worn in warm, drier weather, but rugby boots are recommended as pitch conditions get wetter and softer. Astros are needed at the 3G.
- All players must have a parent/guardian/carer in attendance during each session. We appreciate it can be difficult for those having to spread themselves between pitches if they have children in older age groups, but please do ask other parents to help if you need to run into the clubhouse or to another pitch.
- All parents will receive weekly communications confirming start times, locations, and any other club information. We use an app called Spond, and will provide you with all the necessary sign up details.
- There is a club shop online if you want to buy branded clothing / kit for your children. Please go to https://akumashops.com/twrfc.
- Finally, all the coaches at TWRFC are volunteers. If you would like to get involved, please just shout. Seeing parents/guardians getting stuck in and sharing the rugby experience is a huge boost for the children and the more the merrier. We are not seasoned professionals – many volunteers have never played rugby before – and all we ask you to bring is stacks of enthusiasm. The one requirement will be to run a DBS check, which takes 10 minutes of your time and the club covers the cost.
If you any questions, please do not hesitate to email either myself or Suzanne (our team manager). No question is a silly one, and if we don’t know the answer then we will make sure we find the right person at the club who does!
Simon Beamish – Head Coach – firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzanne George – Team Manager – email@example.com