We will communicate through each age group’s mailing list, your team manager can help you join. However, If you do ever need to speak about anything on a one to one basis, just drop your head-coach a line.
In particular, please make us aware in confidence if your child has any health conditions, including asthma and allergies, and if so where your child can access medicine, inhalers and epi-pens etc. during training. Any welfare concerns can be raised to Dawn, our welfare officer firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWRFC have a Members Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/twellsrfc/ shoul
When does the season start?
Season 2022-2023 will run from Saturday 3 September 2022
Details of our membership schemes can be found here.
We operate on the basis of a family membership, which covers any number of children at the same address.
Please can you all pay your membership subs ASAP to avoid your coaches and team manager having to chase too much! The ask for existing members is that payment is made before the season starts, (new members are invited to have two trial-sessions before joining).
In order to pay your subscription/membership at TWRFC you will need to be registered on the general RFU system first (GMS). If you have any membership and/or registration challenges there is a submit a request for help button on the page.
There are limited parking spaces available at the club but this is mainly for the coaches. We would recommend parking on Forest Road around the corner. We would kindly ask that you are sensitive and respectful to TWRFC’s neighbours when deciding where to park but please do leave plenty of time, and make sure you follow the highway code.
U7s and above will gain be participating in festivals which is very exciting and we are currently working on which ones we will be participating in before and after Christmas so there will be plenty of notice on when they take place and how many teams we are allowed to take. In order for your child to be able to play in festivals they must be registered on GMS with an RFU ID.
Rugby Tour 2022/23
We are hoping to be going on tour again this year as a minis section towards the end of the current season. It’s great fun for Parents/children and siblings, so watch this space for destination, dates and cost.
We now have a new club shop online if you want to buy branded clothing for those cold touchline days, or new kit for your kids. Please go to this link https://twrfc.com/shop/
Some items of kit (e.g. socks) are also be available from the downstairs Cafe.
The second hand kit shop will run on Sundays – all proceeds go to the club. Donations of kit are always welcome.
Coaching and Volunteers
All the coaches/managers at TWRFC are volunteers. If you are new to the club or even the area and would like to get involved please let your head-coach know.
- The one requirement will be in due course to run the DBS check, 10 minutes of your time and the club covers the cost. The club will also cover additional training courses, should you wish to learn more
- We have been known to run the occasional social event in case you need the added incentive….
Locations for training
We generally train at St Mark’s but additionally book 3G facilities over the winter:
- St. Marks Recreation Ground i.e. the rugby club or,
- The 3G pitch out the back of Tunbridge Wells Sports Centre on St. Johns Road. ( this acts a safer environment for the younger ages groups when the weather gets inclement.)
- Ska Primary School (typically for younger age-groups)
Clothes for training
In September we will hopefully make the most of the warmer weather and clothes are not an issue, however as the season progresses it becomes vitally important to ensure your child’s experience is a good one. At the rugby club we can be very exposed to the elements so be especially prepared. This includes parents and siblings watching!
During cold weather the golden rule is layers for players
- Base layers are a great idea, failing that vests and t-shirts plus fleeces or hoodies are needed. much better than a big coat that restricts movement.
- A waterproof top of some description is great at keeping the wind and rain out. Gloves are very popular, but we’d recommend either fingerless gloves or thin, neoprene gloves as thicker gloves can affect their ability to catch, and wool soaks up the water and mud.
- It is always better to have them too hot and take some items off than to have them too cold as they lose the desire to join in the fun.
- Also please do ensure the proper supervision of your players, I empathise with those who have to spread themselves between pitches but please do ask another parent for help if you need to run into clubhouse or across to another pitch.
It is not necessary to have TWRFC kit for training – and we certainly don’t expect you to invest in a full set of kit until you are sure Rugby is for you. Most kids tend to wear TWRFC kit each week but there are always a few who don’t (especially at the start of the season).
We may Opro coming to do a fitting TBC
Not every child uses a fitted gum-shield, some use the off-the-shelf mounded Gum-shields entirely your call…
Boots must be safe, and meet the world-rugby regulation 12… the key is that they don’t have any sharp edges.
We do sometime end up on the boy’s grammar Astro – which has its own requirements.
- For the younger kids If it’s cold, thin neoprene/wetsuit gloves are a good idea to keep them warm (and happy).
- All players must have a parent/guardian/carer in attendance for the duration of training please.
- All players should have a drink and snacks please, as we take breaks during training. Consider bringing a warm drink in a thermal cup for those particularly chilly days.
- All players should have appropriate clothing and a hat and gloves when cold.
- In terms of footwear, rugby boots are recommended, particularly as pitch conditions get wetter as the season progresses. Screw-in studs are not permitted at the 3G pitch and I know that a lot of you opted for moulded studs for the whole season last year and those seemed to work well. If you do opt for screw-in studs, your child/children will need to wear trainers if/when we train at 3G.
In the meantime if you have any questions please ask one of us.