Match Report: CS Stags 19 – 31 TWRFC

Wells travelled to Chiswick on a very windy Saturday afternoon to try and right the wrongs from the week before, when they threw a 17 point lead away in the last 5 minutes of the game. The squad had worked hard during the week knowing that CS Stags would be a very tough opponent. On the very open sports field the wind was howling down the pitch and Wells chose to play into the wind first half. The game kicked off and was stalemate for the first 25 minutes before back rower Nick Doherty was sin binned after a team warning. Stags took advantage of the extra man and 3 minutes later scored between the posts after the ball was fumbled at the back. They converted making it 7-0 and soon after scored again off a lineout which they converted taking the game to 14-0. Doherty returned and Wells were soon on the attack, with wave after wave, though pick and drives, Hathaway powered over the line which Reynolds successfully converted. Wells came out for the second half playing with the wind and they came out of the blocks very quickly. A quick line out between Crosilla and Pankhurst, saw the ball go through quick hands with Montgomery taking a straight line which split the Stags defence for him to be driven over the line by his pack. Again successfully converted by Reynolds. 14-14. Soon after the physical and attacking defence took its toll on Stags, with the Stags second row, their most influential player taking a head knock and having to leave the field, soon followed by the scrum half and a back row player. This soon told and Wells started to take a hold of the game and they scored further tries through Taylor-Dennehy and Mike Doherty.

The back row of Doherty, Hathaway and Isbell were immense, making driving runs and putting up a solid defence, with strong carrying by Crosilla making scrum half Rigby’s afternoon mainly on the front foot. With 5 minutes to go Stags broke through what had been a solid defensive wall and scored out wide taking the score to 19-24. Wells had learned their lesson from the week before, they kicked off, Rigby turned the ball over and the forwards took control once again. From 10 phases of play and excellent possession of the ball, it was spun wide for Mike Doherty to round off an excellent team performance and score between the posts for Reynolds to convert. Final score 19-31.

Wells will take a lot of positives from this game and now look to secure their place in the London & SE Premier League when Chingford visit St Marks in two weeks time on 23rd March. 3pm KO. Wells will need 5 points from that game to secure their place for next Season.

John Crees
Tunbridge Wells RFC Chairman

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *