MATCH REPORT: TWRFC 2XV (45) – Sevenoaks 3XV (7)

Match Reporter: Fran Colangelo

On a blustery afternoon at St Marks where the crosswind was so strong it almost blew the supporters away, what was arguably the best 2s side Wells have fielded in a very long time took to the field against local rivals Sevenoaks.

Conditions were not easy in the wind and the early exchanges saw a few wild passes and knock ons from both sides. The big boot of George Spice kept Oaks pinned in their own half and both defences put in some solid D. It was clear though the Wells pack with all but 2 having started 1s this season had a point to prove. On 20 minutes the pressure eventually told and Toby Talbot crossed for the first try, the conversion from Spice  holding up in the wind. A few minutes later Wells applied the pressure again and a solid scrum 5 out saw Spice see the gap open and go over from short range. He converted his own try for a 12-0 lead.

With the players getting accustomed to the conditions the backs started to shift the ball and make some ground. Harvey Colangelo was on the receiving end of a great move and charged to the try line but for a great tackle from the Oaks 6 on the line. The Wells pack applied the pressure again and it wasnt long before Lucas Scully took a pass from Ben Isbell at 8 to cross over with Spice converting 19-0.

With a few minutes to go in the half Spice having a great game made a break and found Joey Toole on the wing who took his chance as he sped over into the corner, Spice added the touchline conversion and Wells were 26-0 as half time loomed.

The thing about this Sevenoaks side is Wells had to work for everything, they were a good unit and in the last few minutes camped on Wells line only to be held up as Wells D stood strong.

Both sides made changes in the second half with the agreed 5 subs each and this led to a slow start of the second half. Oaks had the better of the opening phases and got to Wells 22. Wells were penalised for a series of offences and after 15 mins they went over for a well deserved try converted to reduce the gap to 26 – 7. This was the kickstart Wells needed and the forwards pick and go with Jake Smith off the bench in support of Talbot led to Innes Woodhouse also off the bench to go over in the corner. Wells led 31 – 7. Soon after the backs made good ground and Colangelo found the gap to go over under the posts. Sam Seymour converted for 38-7.

The last play of the game saw Wells straight back on the attack and MOM Toby Talbot went over for his second converted by Seymour for a final score of 45 – 7. Coach Jarrod Taylor was pleased to get the side out for the first time in 6 weeks and remain top of Kent Invicta still unbeaten this season.

One comment

  1. Are there any members in the club that played for the OSRFC in the 1950,s –
    1970,s? If so Dan Hoff would like to catch up – now living in Australia

Join the Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *