Match Report: Wimbledon 10 – 5 TWRFC

On a very wet, cold and windy afternoon, the Wells visited Wimbledon who are currently leading the London & SE Premier league. Earlier in the Season Wimbledon beat the Wells comprehensively by 52-8 and Wells were adamant that this type of result was not going to happen again. Wells saws the return of Ben Williams, Richard Webster and debutant James Catt strengthening the pack.

Wells kicked off with the wind and pressurised Wimbledon with immediate effect. Only solid defence from Wimbledon thwarted Wells from scoring, with strong running from Catt, Hathaway and Doherty. Good handling in the backs threatened Wimbledon phase after phase. Against the run of play Wimbledon made their way downfield and after 12 minutes saw them score their first try through pick and drives from their bulky pack.

Wells fought straight back through good phase play, direct running and great handling given the conditions. They were rewarded quickly after a 5 metre scrum saw George Montgomery dive over the line to level the scores.

Just before half time Wells were on the attack again pressurizing the Wimbledon line and testing their defence. With an overlap looming, Taylor-Dennehy’s pass was intercepted by the Wimbledon winger, who sprinted away only to be caught on the 22 by Taylor-Dennehy, who was adjudged to have seat belt tackled the player, then sent to the bin for 10 minutes. Wimbledon kicked to the corner and from the ensuing lineout, drove over the Wells line to take the half time score to 10-5.

Second half and the conditions got worse. Wells immediately went into attacking mode and pressurized Wimbledon continuously for 40 minutes. Some strong running by Webster drove Wells forward and Wells found themselves camped on the Wimbledon three times, unable to convert the points by either knocking on or sealing off the ball. The solid defence of Wimbledon held out and the final whistle went, leaving the final score at 10-5. Given the conditions the standard of rugby from both sides was excellent and Wells left, feeling that they let this one slip through their fingers again.

Wells now have a two week break for Christmas and come back in the New Year to face Shelford at St Marks on 5th January.

John Crees

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *