We are nearly there…..two weeks to go
Just over two weeks to go until the start of the new season. The team of volunteers are scurrying around to prepare for the new season:
- Roger is praying for some rain so the further investment we have put into our pitches this summer is fully realised. We again had to outsource the summer maintenance programme to ensure our pitches remain as good as we can get them.
- Nick has had a busy summer with repairs and maintenance. The Clubs boiler has had to be replaced (at significant cost!) but we will have nice warm showers come September. The Club’s gym has been heavily invested and now is a real asset to the club. We have invested in more storage to ensure the clubhouse looks as good as possible inside. We have created a physio and first aid room for the club to ensure we are fully prepared should anything undesired happen on a Sunday or Saturday.
- Simon H has been busy renewing the sponsorship on the senior and youth shirts. I am delighted to see several new ‘friends of the club’ appearing on the shirts: Ridgecrest Cleaning; Easistore; The Dorset Arms; Speldhurst Sausages; CLM; Minifie architects; Food team Group. Obviously, our loyal existing and renewing ‘friends’ are also very much appreciated: Sitsmart; Bethany; Nortrade; Cripps, Countryside; Ascender consulting; Streetfuel.
- Julia has been negotiating with our suppliers to bring some new options to the bar this season. New beers and new lagers how exciting!
- Jude has been working to ensure our pre-match lunches continue to be well supported and have excellent food to enjoy from local restauranteurs. Book early if you want to secure a seat at one of these fun days out.
- Martin has refreshed all our membership options and is also trying to ensure we all have a membership card with benefits! It might even get you a discount on Julia’s new beer!
- Jim, our new President, has been in contact with our Vice Presidents to personally connect with all of them. I am sure Jim will bring fresh passion to the role and maybe even a joke or two at the Club’s lunches.
- Laurence and Alex have are all set for the youth and mini season to kick off. Coaches all up to date on courses, first aid and DBS (our license to coach!). Thanks to Dawn and Rachel for the latter. We are all set with Dean again looking after our Under 6’s Rugby Rocks!
- Simon P has not had a summer break as he runs our social touch rugby over the summer whilst transitioning into Ladies pre-season. Huge numbers at touch this summer, really great to see.
- As you will have seen we have also resubmitted our planning permission for a Alternative Grass Pitch this summer. Please do take the time to support these planning permissions if you can (see previous posts). Thanks to Steve Daly and Rich Bains. Relentless effort from you guys.
- Lastly, the senior squad has been training now for nearly two months. Simon Jervis has been putting the returning and several new players through their paces on fitness (using the new gym) and introducing his structure of play for this year. Simon has been well supported by Chaz, Hathers, and Hammy. We have also secured a 2nd XV coach in Jarrod who will ensure this team is well structured, supported and equipped to perform well in the league. Our club ambassadors and good friends Ben Kayser and David Strettle remain ever supporting and inspiring the players. We needed to invest more time into our senior squad and Monty has delivered this over the summer. Thanks Stu.
So all we need now is you back at the club doing what you do best:
- Playing mini rugby having fun, giggles and learning the values of rugby with your mates
- Training and playing matches in the youth and ladies sections as you increase your skillset and teamwork to bring home the wins.
- Supporting your senior, youth, ladies, minis players with a drink in your hand and some nice food.
- Playing in our senior sides be that for the 1st, 2nd, 3rds or Vets
- Or just enjoying being at one of the most stunning sports venues in Tunbridge Wells with your friends telling yarns of days gone by.
I can’t wait to see many of you very soon back at the Club